Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17 - Dear Nicholas Sparks

Dear Mr. Sparks,

When I got remarried 6 and a half years ago, there were no photos of my whole new family together.   Shane was missing.  Instead, there were photos of the bride (me), the groom, the groom's 2 boys and me holding a photo of my deceased son.  It was the best that we could do to have a photo of the whole family.  It was the only photos of all of us that we ever took together.

The wedding, my sisters took family photos with their families.  We all had professional beach photos of our families taken before the wedding at Corolla. 

Now that I'm getting divorced again, I have to take down the family photos of my soon-to-be-ex-husband and his kids.   I lost another family.  

So I thought.

But I didn't really.  I still have the same family that I had before I remarried - me and my son's memory.  

No it's not a warm and fuzzy idea of family.  But it is my family.  And I am still Shane's mom and he will always be my son and my life will always include his memory.  This is what CDH did.

So my friend, Laura, (who lost her nephew to CDH) and I took off for Wilmington one Sunday and along with catching some sun and much needed beach time for the soul, Laura took new photos of me and my son.









These now hang on my living room wall next to the photos of the rest of my family. 

This is my family.  And I am ok with that.






Sincerely,

Dawn M. Torrence
Forever Shane's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment