Wednesday, September 9, 2015

September 9 - Dear Nicholas Sparks (Guest Blogger Melissa Morgan)

Dear Mr. Sparks,

It was amazing when I went back to my Drs. after severe bleeding and was told that I didn't lose my baby. I was then scheduled for an early ultrasound just to make sure everything was O.K. then it was canceled because his heartbeat was good, the bleeding had stopped and everything looked normal. I went for my regular ultrasound with no worries at all just excited to find out if it was a boy or girl. I first saw the look on the techs face when she told my husband that he was having a son but everything wasn't OK. The doctor told us we had a 50/50 chance of him making it so of course we took it. We cried for days and I didn't get out of bed but then I realized that if he was going to be OK then I had to be too. I guess I would say I pretended like nothing was wrong for the rest of my pregnancy other than a few extra appointments nothing was wrong to me. I was in my own world.

They scheduled to induce me so everything would be set up for our little bundle when he arrived. I was so nervous that day but I got to the hospital and it was normal again I guess they are used to not making parents panic. Our son arrived a little after 5 PM on February first he was six pounds, eleven ounces and was beautiful. He even made a little bit of a noise. Then he had to be put on an oscillator and taken away. I waited almost two hours before I got to see him. They finally took me to him and I knew he would never come home. I got to be with him for five minutes then they rushed him to Children's Hospital. Luckily it was literally across the street from Magee. My husband went with him and in the morning I went too. We spend countless hours hoping and praying for him to get well. The day of his surgery was perfect. He wasn't doing very well so they decided to do it. After the surgery they said he had been the best baby they ever had through the surgery and he was doing great. That night we were so happy he was doing wonderful then he crashed. They made us leave and decided to put him on ECMO. As they were putting him on his heart stopped for over an hour and he was gone. The doctors put him on anyway I supposed to let us say good-bye and we got to have him baptized. Our wonderful baby boy was six days old when we decided to take him off of the machines. Our decision was a good one I believe since he had no brain activity at all after his heart stopped. Thank you for reading this.

Kevin's mom, Melissa Morgan (Pennsylvania)

No comments:

Post a Comment